With innovative new performance features, advanced layering and synchronization possibilities, new filter types and on-board effects, the Nord Lead 4 is a synthesizer dream come true.
- 2 oscillators per voice / 20 voice polyphony
- FM, Hard & Soft Sync
- 2 LFO sections plus Modulation Envelope
- Flexible syncing and routing options
- 12, 24 and 48 dB low-pass filters
- High-pass and Band-pass filters
- Transistor and diode ladder filter simulations of Mini and TB-303
- Crush, Drive, Comb filter, Talk, Compressor, Reverb/delay
- 4-part multi-timbral
- Master Clock Sync of Arpeggiator, LFO and Delay
- Impulse Morph
- Velocity and Mod Wheel Morph
- USB MIDI - No driver is required for Mac OS X, a WHQL certified driver is available for Windows
The Nord Lead 4 is a subtractive synthesizer with 2 oscillators per voice. All the classic waveforms are present, Saw, Square, Sine, Triangle, Pulse and PWM.
The Nord Lead 4's Oscillator 1 section features a wide selection of wavetables including a unique type called Formant Wavetables with resonant qualities that are independent of pitch. Frequency Modulating the Formant Wavetables can produce some truly magic results with distinctive acoustic qualities.
Oscillator 2 features a Noise generator with a dedicated filter cut-off and resonance.
The true Voice Unison mode lets you stack up to four voices on top of each other per note (including the complete signal path of the Nord Lead 4) for really thick, wide leads and basses.
Hard & Soft Sync
Hard Sync generates an irregularly shaped waveform resulting in a harsh, dirty effect rich with harmonics, first made famous by the Prophet 5. Soft Sync is a bit smoother, but by no means subtle.
The Nord Lead 4 also features Frequency Modulator capabilities for adding spectral complexity and occasionally, nastiness.
LFO AND MODULATION SECTION
Nord Lead 4 features two very flexible LFO-sections per slot. A wide selection of LFO-shapes is available from sines and pulses to ramping saws perfect for creating wobbling basses or pulsing pads.
Each LFO can easily be synchronized to the Master Clock and assigned a desired time division. The LFO can be re-triggered manually with an Impulse Morph button or a key. The LFO destinations include a unique option to modulate the FX section.
Nord Lead 4 offers a very capable Modulation Envelope section with an expanded choice of modulation destinations. The Modulation Envelope can also be triggered manually with an Impulse Morph button!
The filter section of the Nord Lead 4 features classic 12, 24 and 48 dB Low-Pass, High-Pass and a Band-Pass filters with a dedicated ADSR filter envelope and selectable filter tracking.
Ladder filter emulations
Two great new additions are the stunning emulations of the diode and transistor ladder filters from the legendary Mini and the TB-303 synthesizers. The emulations capture the dirty, squeaky resonance of the originals and combined with the new unison mode you’ll have plenty of opportunities for making fat, squelchy basses and leads.
The Filter Drive operates separately per voice, distorting the waveform before it passes through the effects sections.
The Impulse buttons are extremely powerful and let you alter your sound instantaneously – brilliant for creating spontaneous, synchronized rhythmic and tonal mayhem. Doubling the LFO rate, changing the oscillator from Saw to Square, enabling Glide, cranking up the resonance and muting the Reverb - all at once - for 2 seconds in the middle of your lead solo is now as easy as 1-2-3. Doing wobbly bass lines and complex choppy pads live, in perfect sync is a breeze! Impulse Morphs are a simple, yet universal concept that offers almost limitless flexibility.
Assigning an Impulse Morph is simple – just hold down an Impulse Morph button and turn the desired knob(s) to the desired new value! Nearly every parameter can be controlled with an Impulse Morph and LED-lights indicate which parameters have been altered. By pressing different combinations of the 3 Impulse Morph buttons up to 7 unique combinations are available, per slot.
Mod Wheel and Velocity Morph
The Morph is a classic Nord feature that lets you control any “knob-type” parameters with the modulation wheel, control pedal or velocity. The possibilities are endless – like changing arpeggiator range or adjusting the sample rate reducting Crush effect with the modulation wheel.
Nord Lead 4
- Morph: One or more continuous (knob-type) parameters can be controlled by keyboard velocity and/or the Modulation Wheel/Control Pedal.
- Impulse Morphs: Both continuous (knobs) and switch parameters can have alternate value settings activated by Impulse Morph buttons. 7 unique Impulse Morphs possible by pressing a combination of the 3 buttons.
- Master Clock: The LFO rates, Arpeggio rate and Delay time can be synchronized to an internal or external (via MIDI) clock, with selectable rhythmic divisions.
- Mutator: Automatic program generator with adjustable style and strength.
- 49-key octave velocity sensitive keyboard (keyboard version only) with octave shift buttons, +/-2 octaves.
- 3 momentary Impulse Morph Buttons, 7 combinations.
- Keyboard Split with 2 slots for the upper and lower sections.
- Modulation Wheel (keyboard version only).
- Pitch Stick with no dead zone at zero crossing (keyboard version only).
- Programmable Pitch bend range, up to +/- 4 octaves
- Separate up/down bend range: -12 or -24 semitones, + 2 semitones
- 1 pedal input for sustain.
- 1 pedal input for expression pedal.
- 3 character LED display, 29 knobs and 20+ buttons for program and performance editing.
- OSC 1 generating sine, triangle, sawtooth, fixed and modulateable pulse waveforms and 128 wavetables.
- OSC 2 generating triangle, sawtooth or fixed and modulateable pulse waveforms or noise.
- OSC MOD section with Hard- and Soft sync plus 3 different Frequency Modulations of OSC 1 from OSC 2.
- Multi-mode filter with 12 dB (2-pole) low pass, 24 dB (4-pole) and 48 dB (6 pole) low pass, band pass, high pass, Ladder M and Ladder 303 characteristics.
- Cut off, Resonance, envelope amount, envelope amount controlled by velocity.
- ADSR envelope.
- Filter keyboard tracking can be set to off, 1/3, 2/3 or 1/1.
- Adjustable Filter Distortion.
- LFO 1 generates a square, triangle or any of 4 different types of saw- and inverted sawtooth waveforms. LFO 1 can be routed to Filter Frequency, Osc Mod, Osc Mix, Osc 2 Pitch, Amplitude and FX section. The modulation amount can be set as positive or negative/inverted. The LFO 1 rate can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- The LFO 1 section is used to control the rate, range and directions for the arpeggiator. Arpeggiator: Range: 1 - 4 octave. Modes: up, down, up/down, random, Poly. The Arpeggio rate can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- LFO 2 generates a square, a regular and inverted sawtooth, LF filtered noise and random staircase waveforms. LFO 2 can be routed to Filter Frequency, Osc Mod, Osc 1 and/or Osc 2 Pitch, Pan and Pulse width. The modulation amount can be set as positive or negative/inverted. The LFO 2 rate can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- Modulation Envelope (Attack, Decay/Release) for Osc Mix, Osc Mod, Osc 1 and/or 2 Pitch, FX section and LFO 2 amount. The modulation amount can be set as positive or negative/inverted. The Modulation Envelope can be manually triggered by the Impulse Morph buttons.
- Patterns: the cyclic waveforms of the LFOs can be replaced by a pattern behavior. There are 128 different patterns, grouped in 6 different styles.
- ADSR envelope, velocity control on/off, gain control.
- Voice modes: Poly, Legato with portamento, Mono, True Unison 1, 2 & 3.
- Four program slots for layering possibilities.
- FX section with continuous Drive/Modulation control. Crush, Drive, 2 different Talk effects, Compressor and Comb Filter.
- Selectable Delay or Reverb. Delay times at up to 1400 ms can be manually set or synchronized to the Master Clock. Reverb has three algorithms, Room, Stage and Hall with adjustable brightness.
- Programs (single sounds): 4 x 99 locations
- Performances (multi sounds): 99 locations
- 4 outputs. Each slot can be assigned to its own output.
- Headphones output.
- High resolution low noise 24 bit DACs.
- All control knobs and switches send and receive control change messages.
- System exclusive bulk dumps. One program or all programs.
- Master Clock will sync to incoming MIDI clock.
- Soft Thru
- 4 Line Level Audio Outputs - ¼", 6,35 mm jacks, unbalanced
- Stereo Headphone Output - ¼", 6,35 mm stereo jack
- Sustain Pedal - ¼", 6,35 mm jack. Use a momentary pedal, like e.g., Roland DP-2, DP-6, Yamaha FC-4, FC-5, Fatar VFP1-25 etc.
- Control Pedal - ¼", 6,35 mm TRS stereo jack. Use a Yamaha FC-7, Roland EV-7, Roland EV-5, Korg EXP2 or Korg XVP10.
- USB connector with MIDI capabilities
- MIDI In & Out - 5 pin DIN connectors