Hear the most subtle details.
The R80 features a custom 6.8-square-inch Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter that responds to the subtlest waveforms and the highest frequencies. This allows you to hear the “air” and the greater sense of space that is characteristic of audiophile recordings. The R80’s transparent and highly accurate sound makes it ideal for use in both commercial and home recording studios as well as broadcast and post-production environments.
PreSonus R80 8" AMT Powered Studio Monitor
Superior transient response.
In order to dampen resonance peaks at higher frequencies, conventional dome tweeters are injected with fluid to raise their mass, sacrificing transient response time. By contrast, the custom-designed AMT tweeter in the R80 uses an incredibly thin, folded Kapton® membrane (< 0.01 mm) with an inlayed aluminum circuit functioning as the voice coil, allowing the tweeter to move at the same instant as the electric current. The resulting reactive response time provides marked clarity and superior transient reproduction.
Components and Construction
- 2-way active AMT design provides articulate high-frequency response and wide stereo imaging
- Custom-designed, 6.8-inch, AMT ribbon tweeter responds to the subtlest waveforms and the highest frequencies
- 8-inch Kevlar® LF drivers provide transparent mid- and low-frequency reproduction for clean sound and punchy bass
- Balanced XLR and ¼-inch TRS plus unbalanced RCA inputs provide flexibility for seamless integration into any environment
- Acoustic Space settings (Linear, -1.5 dB, -3 dB, -6 dB) compensate for room placement
Power and Safety
- Biamped 150W RMS (LF = 100W, HF = 50W), Class D power amplifier with switching power supply
- RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off transient, and subsonic filter protection
- Energy Conservation Mode (with enable/disable) lowers standby power to <0.5W
- External mains fuse
- Internal power supply with IEC connector