The Prophet X is a potent fusion of samples-plus-synthesis and is Dave Smith’s most ground-breaking evolution of the Prophet yet. At its heart, it’s a bi-timbral, 8-voice-stereo (16-voice mono) synth with a newly developed sound engine that powers two simultaneous 16-bit, 48kHz sample-based instruments plus two high-resolution digital oscillators — all processed through analog filters. With 150 GB of internal samples from acclaimed sound developers 8Dio, and all of the powerful synthesis tools you’ve come to expect from Dave, the Prophet X has a musical voice uniquely its own.
On the sample side of things, the Prophet X provides two independent, stereo, digitally sampled instruments per voice (4 in Stack or Split mode). The 150 GB of internal sample content was created by 8Dio, known for pioneering “deep sampling.” You’ll find a diverse collection of acoustic and electronic instruments as well as plenty of edgy ambient and cinematic effects. You can shape the samples through loop manipulation, sample stretching, and the Prophet X’s sound-sculpting modulation functions. Each sample instrument has its own Tone control for high-pass or low-pass filtering. Fifty gigabytes of additional internal storage is dedicated to importing external sample libraries. Support for user-created samples is planned for December 2018. Add-on sample packs are available from 8Dio on product release.
On the synth side, the Prophet X gives you the power of a classic Prophet, with two high-resolution digital oscillators that feature both classic waveshapes and a supersaw for more timbral possibilities. Using the Shape Mod control, you can manually dial in a desired waveshape width for any of the classic sine, sawtooth, or pulse waves, or use an LFO or other mod source for continuously shifting timbre. You can shape the raw sounds with all of the classic synthesis functions you’d expect, including 4 syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, 4 loopable five-stage envelope generators, and a 16-slot mod matrix with dozens of modulation sources and destinations.
Stereo Filters for Depth and Impact
At the heart of the Prophet X’s powerful sound are its new, 24 dB-per-octave resonant low-pass filters, which are based on a vintage design. There are separate filters in the left and right channels for a true stereo signal path. These add exceptional presence and fullness to both the samples and the oscillators. For additional polyphony, you can switch the Prophet X from 8-voice stereo mode to 16-voice mono mode, which is useful for stacks and splits.
Poly Step Sequencing
The polyphonic step sequencer provides up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. You can create a different sequence for each layer if working in stacked or split voice mode, making it a powerful tool for composition or performance. Sequences can have ties and rests, and can sync to an external MIDI clock. The arpeggiator features note repeats, re-latching, and can be synced to external MIDI clock, as well.
Two Effects per Layer
A dual effects engine provides multiple reverbs, 2 delays (standard and BBD), chorus, phase shifter, flanger, vintage rotating speaker, high-pass filter, and distortion. In stacked or split voice mode, you can apply two different effects to each layer. Effects parameters can be modulated through the mod matrix.
Road-worthy and Studio-ready
With loads of sonic firepower and personality, a five-octave, premium-quality, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, an integrated power supply, MIDI USB support, and three crisp OLED displays, the Prophet X fits into any music rig or gig — in the studio or on the road.
Sequential Prophet X Samples-Plus-Synthesis Hybrid Synth
- 2 multi-sampled stereo instruments per voice with editable sample start, sample end, loop size, and loop center, loop on/off, sample reverse, sample stretch, bit-rate reduction, and sample rate reduction
- 150 GB of factory-installed 16-bit, 48 kHz sampled instruments created by 8Dio. An additional 50 GB of samples can be added by purchasing additional sound libraries. User-sample import is planned for December, 2018.
- 2 digital oscillators per voice with selectable sine, sawtooth, pulse, and supersaw waves. You can vary the shape of any of the waveshapes.
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator; (samples can glide in Sample Stretch mode)
- Hard sync
- 2 x analog 4-pole resonant low-pass filter per voice
- Digital high-pass filter in Effects section
- 4 loopable, five-stage (ADSR plus delay) envelope generators: Filter, VCA, and two assignable
- Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests.
- Four-stage (ADSR) envelope generator
- Velocity modulation of envelope amount
LOW FREQUENCY OSCILLATORS
- 4 LFO’s with key sync, phase offset, and slewing per LFO
- Five wave shapes: triangle, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, and random (sample and hold)
- 16-slot modulation matrix
- 28 sources
- 88 destinations
- 11 additional dedicated sources: mod wheel, pressure, velocity, breath controller, footswitch, LFO 1, LFO 2, LFO 3, LFO 4, Env 3, Env 4
- Fully-featured arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Selectable note value: 16th note, 8th note triplet, 8th note, dotted 8th note, quarter note
- One, two, or three octave range
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Note repeat
- 2 digital effects on each layer
- Stereo delay, BBD delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, vintage rotating speaker, distortion, high-pass filter, spring reverb, plate reverb
- Master clock with tap tempo
- BPM control and display
- MIDI clock sync
- Full-sized, semi-weighted, 5-octave keyboard with velocity and channel (mono) aftertouch
- Backlit pitch and mod wheels
- Spring-loaded pitch wheel with selectable range per program (1 to 12 semitones up and down)
- Transpose controls for an 8-octave range
- Hold switch latches held notes on
- Polyphonic glide (portamento)
- Unison (monophonic) mode with configurable voice count
- 512 Factory Programs (4 banks of 128) and 512 fully editable User Programs with 2 layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program
- MIDI In, Out, Thru
- USB MIDI
- Sample import jack for USB Stick
- Main stereo audio output: 2 x 1/4″ phone (TS, unbalanced)
- Output B stereo audio output: 2 x 1/4″ phone (TS, unbalanced)
- Pedal/CV: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages.
- Volume: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages.
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Sequencer: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch to trigger sequencer playback.
- Headphone output: 1/4″ stereo phone jack.
- IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 25 watts maximum
- Dimensions: 38.44″ L x 13.53″ W x 4.13″ H (97.6 cm L x 34.3 cm W x 10.9 cm H)
- Weight: 24 lbs